When we hear that word, many of us picture a luxurious spa treatment reserved for special occasions. In Ayurveda, however, the practice of abhyanga (Ayurvedic massage with oil) is recommended daily. Fortunately, there is a more accessible alternative to professional massage therapy when it comes to enjoying the nourishing benefits of abhyanga every day—massaging yourself.
Oil massage may sound like a messy and complicated process best left to the spa, but once you’ve learned the basics, self-massage with oil starts to become second-nature and well worth the effort.
Here are some of the benefits traditionally associated with regular performance of this pleasant daily ritual:
- Increased circulation, especially to nerve endings
- Toning of the muscles and the whole physiology
- Calming for the nerves
- Lubrication of the joints
- Increased mental alertness
- Improved elimination of impurities from the body
- Softer, smoother skin
- Increased levels of stamina through the day
- Better, deeper sleep at night